Internet Asks: "Turmeric Breastfeeding"
Turmeric is a golden-yellow spice, hailed extensively for its health-promoting attributes, originating from traditional Asian cuisine and medicine. The spice's active compound, curcumin, possesses anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, making turmeric a popular supplement for various health applications. However, for breastfeeding mothers, the question arises: Is turmeric safe and beneficial during lactation?
- - Professional Guidance: It's always best to seek advice from a healthcare professional, lactation consultant, or nutritionist to address individual concerns related to turmeric consumption during breastfeeding.
- - Start Slow: If introducing turmeric as a supplement, it's wise to start with smaller doses and closely monitor for any reactions in the baby, such as fussiness or changes in stool.
Turmeric, while possessing noteworthy health benefits, should be approached with caution and moderation by breastfeeding mothers. The spice, when used as part of a balanced diet, might offer health-enhancing qualities, but for those contemplating supplements, expert medical advice is indispensable to safeguard the well-being of both mother and child.
Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment. Always consult with a qualified healthcare provider before starting any new dietary supplement, especially if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
1. Johns Hopkins Medicine. Turmeric Benefits. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/turmeric-benefits
2. Hewlings SJ, Kalman DS. Curcumin: A Review of Its Effects on Human Health. Foods. 2017 Oct 22;6(10):92. doi: 10.3390/foods6100092. PMID: 29065496; PMCID: PMC5664031.
3. Chaudhari SP, Tam AY, Barr JA. Curcumin: A contact allergen. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2015;8:43–8.
4. WebMD. Turmeric - Uses, Side Effects, and More. https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-662/turmeric
5. MedicineNet. What Are the Negative Effects of Turmeric. https://www.medicinenet.com/what_are_the_negative_effects_of_turmeric/article.htm
6. Britannica. Turmeric. https://www.britannica.com/plant/turmeric