Internet Asks: "Where Are Kiwis Grown?"
Kiwis are small fruits known for their vibrant green color and distinct, refreshing taste. Over the past few decades, kiwis have grown from a rare delicacy to a popular, globally enjoyed fruit. But where do these delightful fruits originate, and where are they primarily grown today? Let’s embark on a global tour of the prime locations where kiwis are grown.
Global Overview of Kiwi Cultivation
Kiwis have adapted to various climates, allowing for widespread cultivation. Below are the key regions globally known for kiwi production.
1. China – The Birthplace
Kiwis, originally known as "Chinese gooseberries," hail from China. The regions of Shaanxi and Sichuan are particularly notable for their kiwi production. These areas possess the ideal combination of temperature, humidity, and soil composition for growing premium kiwi fruits.
2. New Zealand – The Global Ambassador
While kiwifruit is native to China, New Zealand played a pivotal role in introducing it to the world. Renaming it from "Chinese gooseberry" to "kiwifruit" for export purposes in the mid-20th century, New Zealand remains one of the leading exporters. The country is home to Zespri, the largest marketer of kiwifruit in the world. New Zealand kiwis are renowned for their quality and flavor, with the “Hayward” variety being the most popular.
3. Italy – The European Powerhouse
Italy is the largest producer of kiwis in Europe. The Mediterranean climate, characterized by mild winters and hot summers, proves conducive for kiwi cultivation. The country primarily grows the Hayward variety, with the regions of Lazio, Piedmont, and Emilia-Romagna being the primary production hubs.
4. Chile – The South American Gem
Chile has become a significant player in the kiwi market due to its optimal growing conditions and counter-seasonality to New Zealand, allowing it to supply fresh kiwis when it's off-season in other producing countries. The central and southern regions of Chile are most suitable for kiwi cultivation. A significant portion of Chile’s kiwi production is exported, primarily to Latin America, Europe, and the United States.
5. Greece – The Mediterranean Player
Greece has seen a steady increase in its kiwi production over the years, especially in the regions of Kavala and Pieria. The country has now become one of the top producers in Europe.
Other Notable Producers
- Iran: With favorable climate conditions, Iran has also ventured into kiwi production.
- United States: California, with its Mediterranean climate, is the primary kiwi-growing region in the United States, providing a domestic source for American consumers.
Kiwis have made an impressive journey from the forests of China to becoming a beloved fruit on a global scale. From the expansive kiwi orchards in Italy and New Zealand to emerging markets in Greece and Iran, kiwi cultivation is a testament to the fruit’s widespread appeal and adaptability to different climates and regions. So, the next time you enjoy a juicy, tangy kiwi, take a moment to appreciate the global journey this remarkable fruit has made to reach your plate!
Disclaimer: The information presented in this article is intended for general informational purposes only. While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information, it may be subject to change. It's always a good idea to conduct further research or consult with relevant professionals or organizations for more specific details and updated data regarding kiwi cultivation and production.
1. Statista. Production volume of kiwis worldwide in 2021, by leading country. https://www.statista.com/statistics/812434/production-volume-of-leading-kiwi-producing-countries/#:~:text=This%20statistic%20depicts%20the%20production,some%202.38%20million%20metric%20tons.
2. Zespri. WHERE ARE KIWI FRUIT GROWN. https://www.zespri.com/en-US/blogdetail/where-are-kiwifruit-grown
3. Global Trade. Global Kiwi Fruit Market 2019 – New Zealand and Italy are the Leading Exporters of Kiwi Fruits. https://www.globaltrademag.com/global-kiwi-fruit-market-2019-new-zealand-and-italy-are-the-leading-exporters-of-kiwi-fruits/
4. Mordor Intelligence. KIWI FRUIT MARKET SIZE & SHARE ANALYSIS - GROWTH TRENDS & FORECASTS (2023 - 2028). https://www.mordorintelligence.com/industry-reports/kiwi-fruit-market